Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I Don't Know What I'm Doing!

Yes I am at a four year university, and I am majoring in Management, but when people ask me what I want to do with my degree I freeze up and don't know how to answer so I just tell them, "I don't know yet." But the thing is, I want to know what my passion is, and I want to know what my job is going to be after I graduate. As a kid I tried many sports and musical instruments but I never stuck with one of them. That's how I am with choosing a career.

I guess you could say that I am somewhat jealous of the people who have their life planned out during their first year in college. I have thought of a lot of things I could do from making my own business all the way to being an American Sign Language Interpreter. I know I can't see myself doing a boring Average Joe job. I want to make a difference in at least one person's life while pursuing my career.

The reason why I haven't stuck to one idea of a career is because I haven't found one that will be so enjoyable that it's like I never have to work a day in my life. I haven't found my passion yet. Many people choose the job they want to do because of the high salary, but I just want to be happy in what I am going to be doing for the rest of my life.

Don't get me wrong! I love it here, but college is like a whole different stage in life. You are kind of an adult and kind of still a kid. You don't have a real world job, and you live in a dorm on campus. I don't really like this in-between type of stage. I always think about how I just can't wait til I have my life together, and I am finally living on my own and supporting myself. I, however, don't want to rush the time I do have in college because it is supposed to be the time of your life, right?

Sometimes I think to myself, "What am I doing here? Why am I going to this expensive school when I don't know what I want to do once I graduate?" These are probably not good thoughts to have, but I have an external locus of control outlook on this topic (which means I am relying on faith). I believe that God is going to bring me to whatever profession I am meant to be in. A wise bird once whispered in my ear and told me that I shouldn't worry about this but telling me not to worry is like telling me not to breathe. I am going to take that bird's advice and not worry about it as much.

All I am trying to say is that it scares me that I don't know what my life has to offer. I don't like the unknown, but what I do know is that God has my back, and He will lead me through any struggles that may come my way.

4 comments:

  1. College is a time for discovery...you are blessed that you have lots of options and are gifted to do many things. The first two years of college lay your foundation and then you specify more in your last two. It takes time to learn that much of life is just stepping forward...lots of times in the dark and trusting His hand is guiding... I see you already know that! Go with God! Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to lean on God with this and I know that he will lead me through any challenge I face, this being one of them.

      Delete
  2. Try not to worry about it so much. I think you have probably found your calling, you just haven't realized it yet. So keep praying, and listen, and one day, you will realize what you want to do. Have you heard of a book called The Purpose Driven Life? I think you might want to read it this summer when you're home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have heard people talking about that book on campus. You should buy it for me so I can read it! Just kidding!

      Delete