Monday, January 12, 2015

A New Me!


So I have spent some time thinking about what I want to change or accomplish in the year 2015. I made a list of ten things and showed them to my mom and she asked me which was most important to me. I couldn't pick just one because they are all important to me but for different reasons, therefore these are not in order of importance. Here is my list:  

1. Try to stay off social media. 
Most teenagers, like myself, tend to be glued to their phones looking at what other people are up to. I however, want to be different. I want to be present when I am spending time with people and give them all my attention. When I say I want to be off of social media I don't mean I never want to go on Instagram or Facebook ever again. I just mean I want to be present with the people I am around. 

2. Be healthier. 
This goal is probably the most common goal for the new year but to me that doesn't really matter. I believe that if you eat good then you feel good. I also made this goal because when I do eat bad or spend a day doing nothing instead of exercising, I instantly regret it. With all that said, I think it is important to be healthy but I also think you shouldn't be tortured by it and give yourself a treat every once in a while. 

3. Read more
I think that the more you read the more knowledge you gain. At home I have a whole shelf of books that have been sitting there since I was probably in intermediate school. (I am in college now.) That's a long time. With that said, I am making it a goal to finish those books by the end of this year. 

4. Write more. 
A few months ago I had a very small thought in my mind that I wanted to start a blog. A number of people I know personally have blogs and I read them and feel so inspired by their knowledge and writing skills. I think it is important to try new things so I made the decision to start a blog and post things about life or whatever I feel like writing about. 

5. Meet new people. 
I want to meet new people this year because I think it is important to build new relationships with people and learn about their story and become a part of it. I am not the best at this because I get attached to the friends I already have but I think now is the time to put myself out there and meet new people. 

6. No soda or caffeine. 
This might sound crazy to some people because many people depend on a caffeine fix in the morning to wake up. In August 2014 I made the choice not to drink soda or caffeine for health reasons. Now I think I am also going to stay away from it because I don't want to crave it. I want to be able to live without it and feel awake just because I got enough sleep the night before. 

7. Save money. 
This is a hard one for me because I absolutely love to shop. I want to save money because living on its own is expensive especially when you attend a private college. My youth minister talked to my youth group about living in a minimalist way and I quickly realized that I struggle with that. This year I am going to try to start living that way by spending less money on THINGS. 

8. Sing more. 
I am in NO way the best singer but recently I discovered, thanks to a friend of mine, that I really love music and I love to sing my heart out. I made this a goal of mine because it is something that makes me happy and I want to live the happiest life possible. 

9. Focus on school. 
Sometimes school can be hard and so I will do things other than schoolwork (like go on social media). Now that I am in college and spending money on it, it is important that I do my best to get my money's worth to prepare me for the future. 

10. Be with and take care of family. 
Family is always going to be important to me no matter what. This summer my mom is going to have surgery so it is going to be my job to take care of her during the recovery process. She has done so much for me and I have to repay her in some way. Furthermore, being away at college means I get less time with family so it is important for me to make the most out of the time I do have with them.

Some of you might be thinking "Wow that is a lot of things you want to change!" The way I look at it is even if I don't accomplish everything on this list, I at least I know that I worked hard and did my best. That's all I can do.  

Much love, 

Angela Paige

7 comments:

  1. These are all admirable goals. And like you said, even if you don't achieve every single one, you will have gained much with every step. Great first blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great items...I am swiping some of them. Go with God and at the end of the year you will be able to look back on your success! Love, Ms. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great goals you have listed. I would agree, even accomplishing half that list - you would have a very good year. The best advice I could give about writing, is to do a little bit every day. Even if it is only a couple of lines of thoughts. or a poem if you do that sort of thing. Basically, you just want it to become a habit. Often, what I will do, is set a timer for 5 minutes and just write until the time is up. Raw and unedited: but often there will be a nugget in there that you can build upon later. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will be taking your advice!

      Delete
  4. I wish you all the best with your endeavors! I started blogging five years ago and it's been very therapeutic for me. I need to give up soda. I'm addicted to it. I think it's great that you are stepping in to take care of your mom when she has surgery.

    ReplyDelete